Benedick as a sonneteer is a hard label to give him. Benedick is a character who wished to be a bachelor for his entire life and so he would not be caught writing poetry to his beloved. Sonnet 116 is a much too romantic sonnet for Benedick to have written for Beatrice. I believe Benedick would write something witty for Beatrice and not a sonnet about how love stands the test of time. This is a couple who broke up minutes before getting married. This is also a couple who had to have their friends trick them into love in the first place. Sonnet 116 is about love being constant "it is an ever fixed mark" which in all honesty is not Benedick and Beatrice's relationship. I am not doubting they love each other, but their love changed so quickly where as the sonnet says "love is not love which alters".
If I did have to pick a sonnet for Benedick I would give him sonnet number 23. This sonnet talks about how expressing their love out loud is much too hard and they would rather write it out in the hopes that their beloved could figure out what they were saying through the sonnet. I see Benedick as a man who doesn't want to express his feelings because A. he would be contradicting everything he has ever said about marriage and B. because he is a man. I could see him writing this clever sonnet in order to express his love for Beatrice in the hopes that she's smart enough to figure it out. Because these two have been known to love playing witty games with each other.
Beatrice on the other hand would be someone who would write romantic sonnets because I believe she has had feelings for Benedick for a long time. She is much more expressive about her feelings towards everything so I don't see why her feelings on love would be any different. I could see Beatrice writing sonnet 116 though because it seems like she has liked Benedick for sometime now and continues to bring him up any chance she gets. So like a "fixed mark" Beatrice's love for Benedick isn't going anywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment