Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Winter's Tale Act 2-3

I am doing the "I hate this stuff" rant blog. These two acts were very hard to read because they were so infuriating. I'll start off with how stupid Leontes is for storming into his wife's room and accusing her of adultery and having her arrest for it as well because Polixenes and Camillo have run off. I mean like seriously that is not proof that your wife is cheating on you. Leontes is acting like a dam fool for going through with this and Antigonus is right that they will be the laughingstock of the world.

Also when did Hermione become pregnant? Was she pregnant the whole play and I somehow missed that? I can't believe that her husband would send his pregnant wife to a jail cell. Like come on dude. Paulina is a good and bad character for me. I like how loyal she is to Hermione but I mean she is the one who causes the baby to become abandoned. I know her intentions were honorable but everyone has been calling Leontes a tyrant so of course he's going to be irrational with his own child. Plus his judgment is clouded with jealousy. So the fact that Paulina thought she could change his mind with a baby was just dumb. Although who makes someone choose between killing a baby and abandoning it. Even if that baby isn't yours you can't just kill it! Like who does that.

Act 3, Scene 2 stuff got way too real way too fast. There was way too much going on in this scene for me. First you have Hermione's trial RIGHT after she has given birth. Like what! I also love how he has made this trial public so that he can't be accused of being a tyrant but he's the judge, jury, and accuser so I feel like he's still a tyrant. Jokes on him. Even after seeing the message from the oracle saying that Hermione is innocent he still doesn't believe it. I'm starting to wonder if Leontes was looking for a way out of his marriage because he has no evidence and he's been proven wrong by the oracle but still thinks she's cheating. He was just pissing me off. THEN Mamillius and Hermione die. We lose two main characters in one scene. Too much stuff. And in the next scene Antigonus might be dead by a bear. So many deaths in this play. Leontes is the one that should have died. I'm just not sure what else this play can possibly have in store for us but I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment