Monday, April 14, 2014

The Winter's Tale Act 4

Act 4 scene 1 functions as a summary of what has happened. Time itself, tell us of the passing of sixteen years, how Leontes has shut himself up in his palace while Perdita grew up in the shepherd's care, and how Perdita has fallen in love with Florizel, Polixenes's son, who also loves her in return. And scene 2 functions as a view of what has been happening with Polixenes's for all these years. Camillo wishes to return to Sicilia, but Polixenes orders him to stay because he still needs him. He then inquirors as to the whereabouts of his son, Florizel but Camillo doesn't know where he is. Polixenes fears that it's the Shepard's daughter drawing his son away so they decide to disguise themselves to spy on Florizel. Classic Shakespeare. Why ask when you can spy.

Autolycus definitely reminds me of Falstaff. They both are conmen and willing to come up with these crazy stories in order to obtain what the desire, which of course is money. Although Autolycus seems to be much smart than Falstaff. Falstaff didn't seem to be able to get away with robbing someone and he seemed to always been the one getting robbed but they both are definitely cunning and have little care about anything but basic pleasures.

Scene 4 was definitely a much longer scene than I had first anticipated. For the major character I followed Perdita. She is the daughter of Leontes and has fallen in love with Polixenes's son Florizel. In the scene they become engaged and Perdita has predicted that Florizel's father will find out about them and disapprove. This is exactly what happens after Polizenes confronts his son and reveals his disguise. However, with the help of Camillo the two run off to Sicilia and will appear before Leontes as ambassadors from Polixenes. I choose to follow as the minor character Camillo because I like him quite a bit. I find him to be reassuring and through his desire to return home he will help Perdita to be reunited with her father. Even though it is out of self-interest to help the young lovers I still find it reassuring that he's willing to help them in whatever way he can. And by telling Polixenes where his son is off to Camillo will be able to return home at last. It seems to be a win win for both the major and minor character. Although that depends on what Polixenes will do once he finds his son in Sicilia. I hope it's a happy ending!  

No comments:

Post a Comment