Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Winter's Tale Act 5

I went and saw Melissa Arctic on Monday so I had a feeling about what was going to happen in act 5. I should have read it before going to the play I just didn't have time. However, I wasn't expecting it to be so similar. Although since I knew what was kind of coming it was interesting to see Paulina's and Leontes's exchange in 5.1 Paulina makes Leontes swear never to marry again. Leontes says, "My true Paulina, We shall not marry till thou bidd'st us." Paulina says back to him "That shall be when your first queen's again in breath. Which without having known the ending I would not have found this line so funny cause that's what happens! I think people who read this play over again notice that line but when you read it for the first time without knowing the ending you miss the irony of that line. I am glad and sad about knowing the ending in advance but oh well.
I have read several other blogs and I am finding a lot of people angry at how the play ended. There are a few things I want to talk about concerning this act. First I want to talk about how Paulina has become even cooler in my book. She is probably the best female character in the Shakespeare plays we have read this semester. I mean Beatrice might be a close second but Paulina is by far the best. We have talked a little about her in class and I hope we spend some more time on her character because first off she stands up to Leontes and makes him swear he will not marry again. She stands up to a nobleman! Like what! Secondly she is able to bring back Hermoine! Now I'm not really sure if she brought her back or if she's been hiding for 16 years, but as I kind of read it she brought her back. She created life. Which makes sense because she is a woman but still that is so powerful. Paulina is the one who gave the play its happy ending. One thing that bothers me though is that she marries Camillo at the end of the play which is something I wish didn't happen. I feel like Paulina doesn't need to replace Mamillus or really need a man anyways.
A lot of people are man that Leontes gets everything he wants at the end of the play and has no real punishment and that he hasn't really "changed". I kind of want to disagree with that because he had to live with himself and Paulina, in his ear, for 16 years with the guilt of losing two children and his wife. I feel like he punished himself pretty well for all that time. I think 16 years is definitely enough time for someone to change and become a better person. I also think that losing his two children and his wife could make anyone be willing to change. I don't think we should write him off as quickly.
Overall I think this was a great play and I can't wait to do my write up of Melissa Arctic because there are so many things I want to talk about but I don't want to ruin anything for you until you see the play! I know you're going to love it!

1 comment:

  1. Paulina is a really cool figure in this play. I wish she was present more in this play because she represented so much power in the face of two irrational kings. In the first half of the play she stood up for her close friend and defended her chastity in front of her friend's husband (oh, and the king of Sicilia). She was really interesting to follow and connections can be made between Paulina and Hermione in the play.

    ReplyDelete