Monday, March 10, 2014

Act 4

In act 4 scene 1 Iago has Othello hide and listen to him speak with Cassio. However, I don't understand how Othello doesn't know that it's Bianca that is talking with Cassio because Iago says her name before Cassio starts laughing and talking about her. I guess the handkerchief thing can look a little fishy in the situation once Iago makes the claim that Cassio got it from Desdemona and gave it to his whore Bianca. I can believe that Othello hits Desdemona. Although when reading through the things she's saying to Lodovico in the context that Othello is hearing them then I can understand why he might be getting frustrated at her. I don't agree with him hitting her but I can see why he is getting beyond upset especially since he thinks she's slept with Cassio and has the nerve to bring him up in front of him. I just wish that Othello would accuse her of sleeping with him so that they can fight about it. His emotional reactions are not only endangering his marriage but his job as well because Lodovico is there and question Othello's state of mind and of course Iago is there to keep that doubt alive. I could definitely see Othello standing all by himself and Desdemona and Lodovico standing beside her with Iago grouped with him. So that it looks like Othello is all alone and going insane. Although Iago might be standing with him because he seems to be alienating everyone besides Iago but I still think Iago would be with the other group because Iago is loyal to no one but himself.

In scene 2 it is a little frustrating how repetitive Desdemona is when she's speaking with Othello. She keeps asking him what's she done and hopes he finds her faithful and he keeps telling her he doesn't but yet she keeps asking. And I was so happy to see Emilia come to Desdemona's defense although it seems like it's a little too late and Othello has already made up his mind to believe Iago. Emilia seems to not be as naive as I had originally thought because she knows that someone has made up this lie in order to get a position.
I will be hanged, if some eternal villain,
Some busy and insinuating rogue,
Some cogging, cozening slave, to get some office,
Have not devised this slander. I will be hanged else!

Oh I hope Roderigo is Iago's downfall! It seems Desdemona has a feeling that the night will bring either death or tears or maybe both. She's singing that willow song and that's the song that her mother's maid sang before she died so this might be some foreshadowing going on. Also it seems Emilia might have actually cheated on Iago but I don't think it was with Othello. It's good that Desdemona doesn't believe in unfaithfulness and wishes to learn from women who have been unfaithful and not to follow this bad examples. Act five is going to have a lot going on in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment