Question 1: In "The English and Otherness" the statement is said that "Perhaps most nations learn to define what they are by defining what they are not" (NS 25). Have the English used other nations to learn their own identity? How does identity play in concerns to Othello? Is identity even an important topic to examine? Do some characters see Othello's skin color as part of his identity and if so why might they? How do they treat him differently?
Question 2: I have two questions to ask about act 1 scene 3. The first question deals with the fact that Desdemona is allowed to go to war with her new husband, Othello. Is this something that is believable in this time period? What is the point of having her go to war with him? I feel like it will only cause problems and distract him even though he says it's not for sex and he won't get distracted. I would just like to examine some reasons for allowing a woman to go to war so easily.
The second question has to do with Iago. Is he loyal to anyone but himself? It seems as if he isn't even loyal to Roderigo, whom he claims to be good friends with. At first I thought that Iago was playing a double agent for Othello, but it seems that his hatred for Othello is real and I wonder if Othello will be able to see through his lies and deceits in the end?
No comments:
Post a Comment