Iago is a tricky character. He definitely knows how to get Othello to worry when there is no need to worry. However before I discuss that part of Iago I wanted to point out something that happens in act 3 scene 3. Desdemona and Emilia have just left Othello and Iago and Iago is being coy with Othello about his uneasely feelings towards Cassio and Iago says something I found to be very interesting. Iago says, "Men should be what they seem, Or those that be not, would they might seem none! (3.3.131-132). I find it interesting that this is coming from Iago when he is not acting as he truly is because if he were then he would be acting like a dishonest person which he does not.
It is almost annoying how nice and thoughtful he's trying to be like when he's telling Othello that he's probably wrong about the suspicions he has about Cassio and don't make him say anything bad about Cassio. I just think that Othello should be able to see through this character. I don't understand how the nice guy is easy to pin all the negative stuff on and the bad guy is the one getting away with everything. It's frustrating!
Iago's plan seems to be working. First he infects Othello's mind with terrible thoughts. Then he gets the handkerchief from his wife, who has no idea she is a pawn in his plan and now he has proof for Othello. I just wish Othello would go and speak with his wife. That is the trouble with all of these plays is that there is no communication. Ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment